D Installler

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat Sep 29 05:12:20 PDT 2007

Lester Martin wrote:
> Hello Everyone,

> I am going to work on a d installer that installs D(dmd), A chosen
> standard library(tango,phobos),and a build enviromet(dss).

Just be aware that you're not allowed to redistribute D or phobos.  So
your installer will have to download them on the fly from
digitalmars.com at install time.

> This will
> only work for windows because I don't have a linux machine.

That's not really an excuse in this day and age when you can download
VMWare for free and a pre-installed image of Ubuntu.  So if you don't
*like* Linux or don't want to *learn* Linux, or don't have *time* for a
Linux version, just say so.  :-)

> It will
> only work for Win98 and up and probably only for XP if the features I
> am going to use are not supported in Win9x or WinNT with version
> below current XP version. If anyone has suggestions please feel free
> to email me at the address above or just simply reply to this post.

 > I forgot to tell you that you will probably need .NET 2.0 at least. I
 > may be able to make my program automatically install it.

Um, suggestion number 1 is don't require users to download a 22.4 MB
framework just to install a 5MB compiler package.

I vaguely recall someone else previously announcing they made a D
installer using NSIS (nullsoft scriptable installer system).

--bb