Does anyone want to work on a Linux port of the D Installer

David Wilson dw at botanicus.net
Sun Sep 30 15:14:21 PDT 2007

Hi Lester,

Linux users are far from in the habit of running installers, typically
only doing so for pieces of commercial software that plays ignorant to
local conventions, or chooses to sidestep the issue of high quality
packaging.

Efforts would be much better spent producing packaging or helping to
maintain that which already exists. D for Linux really does not need
an installer.

Although I'm really grateful to see someone taking the initiative, I
also have my doubts about producing an installer for Windows in C#
that the community will accept (and that, after all, is what is
important here). Given that more acceptable solutions have previously
been tried (I believe an NSIS-based installer was mentioned), perhaps
you better focus your efforts on those already existing instead?

I certainly find the idea of a 22MB runtime just to install around 6mb
of code a little over the top.

David.