C++0x now with lambda and closure

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Fri Apr 4 11:51:16 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Tomas Lindquist Olsen:
>> The code is really short and easy to read.
>> For GUI app development I'd pick U++/C++ over D any day.
>
> Is it possible to design a similar API in D too?
>
> I'll take a better look at U++ then, it seems it's partially free too. Its hash maps seem quite faster than D ones, so I think such design ideas may be used to improve D AAs.
>
> I like the API of the now dead WAX GUI toolkit (that works with Wx):
> http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax.html
> http://zephyrfalcon.org/waxapi/index_h.html
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

First, go get the real benefit from U++, you need to use their IDE. To me this was a real pain
in the beginning. But _only for a few weeks_. After that it's really a pleasure.

* It has the best highlighting I've seen in any C++ editor (it highlight's scopes with slightly
different background colors).
* The forms editor is a must for GUI apps.
* Internationalisation is trivial with built in features (you have to wrap all strings in
_t("hello") etc though)
* nice component based project management.

I could go on and on. This thing just makes gui coding so nice, I can't understand why more
people aren't using it...

It kinda funny how the way they do all their magic is by completely ignoring "normal" C++
coding practices, with 'const' and 'mutable' [1] being the most important keywords...

[1]: http://www.ultimatepp.org/srcdoc$Core$pick_$en-us.html - search for '#define pick_ const'