DMD 1.029 and 2.013 releases

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Apr 24 11:31:23 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> But what about things like accessing memory-mapped registers?  That is, as a
> hint to the compiler to say "don't inline this; don't cache results in
> registers"?

I've written code that uses memory mapped registers. Even in programs
that manipulate hardware directly, the percentage of code that does this
is vanishingly small. It is a very poor cost/benefit ratio to support
such a capability directly.

It's more appropriate to support it via peek/poke methods (which can be
builtin compiler intrinsics), or inline assembler.