DMD 1.037 and 2.020 releases

Pablo Ripolles in-call at gmx.net
Tue Dec 2 08:04:23 PST 2008

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Pablo Ripolles wrote:
> > It would be nice not to forget to update the install docs such as in
> > http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dmd-linux.html (there is no comment
> > about druntime stuff at all).
> >
> > Something else, there is this dmd.conf.5 man page which is deployed
> > in man1 directory of the dmd zip file.  Shouldn't it be in a new man5
> > directory?  again, shouldn't it have renamed its internal number (the
> > one that appears in the header when you type "man dmd.conf" such as
> > DMD.CONF(1)) to DMD.CONF(5)?
>
> I don't know. I don't know much about man files.

Ok, I don't know much about man files either.  However here is the reasoning.

The man pages are structured in sections and section 1 contains descriptions of "Executable programs or shell commands" while section 5 takes care of "File formats and conventions".

*A typical example of the *first* case would be the gfortran executable, its man file can be found in:

pablo at baobab:~$ ls -al /usr/share/man/man1/ | grep gfortran
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    17 2008-11-26 16:12 gfortran.1.gz -> gfortran-4.3.1.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 13215 2008-09-28 18:02 gfortran-4.3.1.gz

which is in man1 and carries the 1 in its file name.  Moreover its man page displays (1) on the top:

GFORTRAN(1)                           GNU                          GFORTRAN(1)

NAME
       gfortran - GNU Fortran compiler

SYNOPSIS
       gfortran [-c|-S|-E]
                [-g] [-pg] [-Olevel]
                [-Wwarn...] [-pedantic]
                [-Idir...] [-Ldir...]
                [-Dmacro[=defn]...] [-Umacro]
                [-foption...]        [-mmachine-option...]
                [-o outfile] infile...

       Only the most useful options are listed here; see below for the
       remainder.

*A typical example of the *second* case would be the xorg.conf config file, its man file can be found in:

pablo at baobab:~$ ls -al /usr/share/man/man5/ | grep xorg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 17453 2008-11-15 17:57 xorg.conf.5.gz

which is in man5 and carries the 5 in its file name.  Moreover its man page displays (5) on the top:

xorg.conf(5)                                                      xorg.conf(5)

NAME
       xorg.conf - configuration File for Xorg X server

INTRODUCTION
       Xorg  supports several mechanisms for supplying/obtaining configuration
       and run-time parameters: command line options,  environment  variables,

All this is just a matter of consistency, not very important obviously, nice however.

Cheers!