objconv 2.03 released (includes .OBJ disassembler)

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 07:23:00 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Esa Kylli <esa.kylli at swipnet.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to D and this tool.
> I'm trying to convert an .OBJ file compiled in MSVC to OMF-format so that I can link to it from my D code.
> I get no errors in the conversion. But when I try to link to the OMF OBJ-file I get these errors:
> Error 42: Symbol Undefined __RTC_Shutdown
> Error 42: Symbol Undefined __RTC_InitBase
> Error 42: Symbol Undefined __RTC_CheckEsp
>
> Anyone know what's going on here?
> I would be grateful for any tips.

Those look like symbols for the MSVC runtime library.  Your converted
library apparently needs them.

This is the problem with converting object files - even if you can
convert it, you still have to deal with the fact that compilers will
insert all kinds of dependencies on other libraries and objects that
you don't know about.  Compilers will also make assumptions about the
way things are linked, and so even if you are able to convert the
object, it might not work.

> Another problem I have is when I try to convert the MSCV compiled OBJ-file to OMF-format, but this time it's been compiled in release mode, I get the following error:
> Error 2006: Unsupported file type for file Main2.obj: Whole program optimization intermediate file, Microsoft specific
>
> Could this be caused by the fact that objconv doesn't support this case?

Uh, yeah, that's pretty much exactly what the error message says.
"Unsupported" means "I don't support this" ;)