Anyone use twitter for D?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 21:17:16 PST 2008

Hello Nick,

> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:ghs5kf$9d7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> I started one to see how that works out for D.
>> http://twitter.com/WalterBright
>>
> Call me a curmudgeon, but does anyone ever read twitters? They seem to
> be enormously popular to write, though I've never understood why.
> (Maybe I'm just not a "web 2.0" kind of guy -> I've never cared for
> social networking sites, either.)

I find it odd too and fail to see why the fad attracts people. I'm guessing
that the popularity of it is due the attraction the idea has for certain
personality types: something like an opportunity for the less expressive
to express themselves free of the obligations rigour (no more thought to
choosing words carefully, I suppose).  In the manner of blogs, maybe people
just like talking about themselves... only twitter seems to take it once
step further, where the reader is entertained with decidedly less thought
provoking material.  I just don't get it.  Maybe I should /not/ be looking
at twitter as an information resource.  But if it's just a way people can
connect with one another to let each other know they are there, then all
they really need is a flashy red or green light.  Add to that a beeping noise
for extra effect.

The other alternative is that it's just yet another "marketing" scheme that
has succeeded in making people think that it's the "thing to do".   I'm sure
facebook fans would eat this one up. :)

The last option is that I'm just a boring killjoy that doesn't get it. I
dunno ;).

But I'm sure this isn't the last clever idea to make it's rounds on the internet.

-JJR