Anyone use twitter for D?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Dec 14 01:48:52 PST 2008

"Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.190.1229232715.22690.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:17 AM, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello Nick,
>>
>>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>>> news:ghs5kf$9d7$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Call me a curmudgeon, but does anyone ever read twitters? They seem to
>>> be enormously popular to write, though I've never understood why.
>>> (Maybe I'm just not a "web 2.0" kind of guy -> I've never cared for
>>> social networking sites, either.)
>>>

>> I find it odd too and fail to see why the fad attracts people. I'm
>> guessing
>> that the popularity of it is due the attraction the idea has for certain
>> personality types: something like an opportunity for the less expressive
>> express themselves free of the obligations rigour (no more thought to
>> choosing words carefully, I suppose).  In the manner of blogs, maybe
>> people
>> just like talking about themselves... only twitter seems to take it once
>> step further, where the reader is entertained with decidedly less thought
>> provoking material.  I just don't get it.  Maybe I should /not/ be
>> looking
>> at twitter as an information resource.  But if it's just a way people can
>> connect with one another to let each other know they are there, then all
>> they really need is a flashy red or green light.  Add to that a beeping
>> noise for extra effect.
>>
>> The other alternative is that it's just yet another "marketing" scheme
>> that
>> has succeeded in making people think that it's the "thing to do".   I'm
>> sure
>> facebook fans would eat this one up. :)
>>
>> The last option is that I'm just a boring killjoy that doesn't get it. I
>> dunno ;).
>> But I'm sure this isn't the last clever idea to make it's rounds on the
>> internet.
>
> I found this article pretty interesting, at least as far as an insight
> into what some people see in Twitter and similar services.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6ng7tg

Only read the first couple pages of that, but that's kind of interesting.
The description of "like a social gazette from the 18th century", seems to
really make it all "click": both why it's so popular and why I find myself
not interested.  The stuff on the second page makes it sound like a
primitive version of (and here I go into scifi-geek territory) a borg-like
mental link (minus the imperialistic tendencies). Seems to make for a
potential antidote to the claims some people make about computer technology
driving people apart. Also interesting from a marketing standpoint: giving
people what they don't realize they want. I'm still perfectly content
remaining on the sidelines for this stuff, though.