DMD 1.038 and 2.022 releases

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 10:43:39 PST 2008

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:41:23 +0300, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Denis Koroskin wrote:

>>> I generally make all my imports private and run a command line tool that
>>> strips unnecessary imports once in a while to minimize intermodular
>>> dependencies. Maybe it could help in your case, too?
>>
>> When programming in Java, Eclipse knows to handle all of this for you.
>> it will suggest adding missing imports, it can remove unused imports
>> and it can convert a foo.bar.* into a list of the specific modules you
>> actually used in the code.
>> I wish that kind of tool would be available for D. Is this
>> functionality implemented in descent? if not, is it planned?
>>
>> I do realize that it's more difficult to do this for D than it is for
>> Java, because of Conditional compilation and other issues already
>> mentioned in this thread. But it would be awesome if I could just write:
>>
>> Stdout("whatever").newline;
>>
>> and get a quick-fix action (Ctrl+1) to add tango.io.Stdout to the list
>> of imports.
>>
>> --Yigal
>
> You should watch Descent videos on youtube, it is *much* smarter that that!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/user/asterite

I watched the video.
the functionality is that if you write: new Foo; it added automatically
an import for Foo. that's very cool and all but I was asking for
something more than that.

for Java, Eclipse can add and manage imports for you not only when you
do new Somthing() but also for functions - like recognizing that
Stdout("string") needs to import tango.io.Stdout. More over, if you
wrote some of the imports yourself, or edited some code and removed the
only call to some function, you can ask eclipse to orginize your imports
and it'll remove unneeded imports and expand Java's Foo.* kind of import
to a list of the actual modules the code needs.

Descent is a great project and I want to thank all the developers
involved in this great undertaking. All I'm saying is that it would be
nice to also have an "organize imports" function in Descent.

-- Yigal