New DigitalMars D newsgroups/forum

Jim Hewes jimhewes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 16:26:36 PST 2008

"Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
news:gibvps$squ$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:gibslk$nsu$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Things like that are pet peeves of mine (ie, using ".htm" instead of
> ".html", ".jpg" instead of ".jpeg", etc.) The only reason for the
> three-letter versions in the first place was Windows 3.11 and prior. Such
> restriction was removed over a decade ago.

I've encountered trouble with Windows Installer when trying to install files
with long filenames onto Windows 98. It just wouldn't install the files
correctly. I never found out the exact cause but instead just renamed the
files back to short names to fix it. Fortunately we've recently dropped
support for Windows 98. :)  But for driver files that have to go into
C:\Windows\System32 I still have a fear of breaking away from 8.3. Maybe
it's superstition at this point, but who knows what 8.3 troubles still lurk
in Windows.

Jim