Descent 0.5.3 released

Jacob Carlborg doobnet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:36:14 PST 2008

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg escribió:
>> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>>> The Descent plugin for Eclipse provides an IDE for writing, launching
>>> and debugging code in D.
>>>
>>> Explanations on how to get it from within Eclipse are here:
>>>
>>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent
>>>
>>> (There's no need to do the nightly-build manual stuff for this. If
>>> you previously had a nightly-build, you must need to remove it before
>>> updating. Anyway, the current nightly-build reflects this release, so
>>> you can just do it manually if it turns out easier for you.)
>>>
>>> This release is just an accumulation of small features and bug fixes
>>> since the last (official, not nightly-build) version. But since I
>>> don't want everyone to think "Aww, nothing new, just a new number",
>>> this release also includes support for array "extension methods" in
>>> autocompletion. For this to work, the function that you want to use
>>> as an extension must be in the current module, or already imported
>>> (so for example you won't get methods from std.algorithm,
>>> tango.core.Array or tango.text.Util until you have an import for them
>>> in the module you are currently typing in).
>>>
>>> Here's a video that shows this functionality:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBj0wu9dbnA
>>>
>>> And a question: what would you like to see next in Descent?
>>>
>>> Any suggestion, critic or bug report is welcome. You can use:
>>> - the forums: http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=107
>>> - trac: http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/report?action=new
>>> - irc: at freenode, #d.descent
>>>
>>> Enjoy!
>>
>> First I have to say that you're doing a great job with descent. Here
>> are a few suggestions:
>>
>> Remove "." as insertion of autocompletion. Yes I know that it's like
>> that in JDT, BUT Java doesn't have slicing ".." and variadic functions
>> "..."
>
> You can remove it in Windows -> Preferences -> D -> Editor -> Content
> Assist, in "Auto activation triggers for D" (just remove the dot).

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean but the biggest problem is
not the activation of the content assist, it's the insertion of the
selected element in the list when the content assist is active, when you
press dot the second time. I still want to use dot as the activation of
content assist when accessing class members and similar.

>> Add an option, when enabled, if you're in a slice [|] and pressing "."
>> don't show the autocompletion list (| is cursor). Ctrl+Space is still
>> available.
>
> I'll do it, that seems a reasonable solution.

Thanks, I think that this will also solve the above problem. This is
also a better solution than the above.