Descent 0.5 released

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:55:14 PST 2008

Extrawurst wrote:
> 1) ok well for D2.x Descents new features are pretty useless. even a
> HelloWorld is too much cause phobos in D2.x is full of strings which
> Descent doesnt seem to understand.

The way Descent works is that it has a (fairly complete) port of the DMD
front-end. Since the DMD front-end is fairly large already, maintaining
two versions is a LOT of work. So 2.x support will be there, but we're
focusing mostly on getting the framework for a lot of cool features,
into which we can insert 2.x semantic analysis. In other words, it'll be
there, but just not right away.

> 2) is there any documentation of the features in Descent besides the
> feature list where one can eventually find a shortcut how to use it.
> cause features like the formatter are just usable for new users when
> they find the shortcut for it in the preferences-options menu

I'm going to work on some docs soon, and AFAIK Ary is doing some videos.
As usual with any project as ambitious as Descent, there's huge amounts
of work to be done & with only two people it doesn't get done very fast.