Fat Libraries vs. Programming Skills?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:56:34 PST 2008

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Fat Libraries vs. Programming Skills?
>
> http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2008/01/0801dewarschonberg.html
>
> -manfred

As a current CS undergrad, I can say that I learned 90% of what I know
about PROGRAMMING outside of class (either on an internship, an
open-source project, or just messing around and being nerdy), and the
other 10% from two of my classes (one high school AP class that focused
on data structures, and one class on shell scripting and practical
computer skills).

I think Java isn't necessarily a bad teaching tool for the reasons they
mention, but I think a lower-level imperative language should come
first. Java should be introduced after Smalltalk or something to show
many of the advantages of safe, happy, VM programming and why
object-oriented programming leads to good software design.