dmd0xf - Tango dmd package from team0xf

Peter Modzelewski peter.modzelewski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 07:07:33 PST 2008

John Reimer wrote:
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>> Peter Modzelewski wrote:
>>> We are proud to introduce to you our new Creation. dmd0xf is a
>>> massive package containing all you need to code in D on Windows
>>> working out of the box. All you need to do is unpack this archive and
>>> add its bin to your PATH environment variable. Newest release contains:
>>>
>>>     * dmd 1.025
>> [snip]
>>> dmd0xf is available from tango's website, as one of the community
>>> downloads (
>>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/CommunityDownloads ), and
>>> on our download site ( http://team0xf.com/index.php?n=Site.Download
>>> ). We will try to keep it up to date, working and stable.
>>
>> Did you get permission from Walter to distribute this? AFAIK only the
>> Tango team has permission to redistribute DMD.
>> (The "tango community download" link also points to the team0xf site,
>> so even that one is in violation of copyright unless you guys have
>> permission; I don't know the exact nature of Walter's permission for
>> Tango so I don't know if this would be allowed if it was on their site)
>

> I was also wondering about this.  It seems that there would have to be
> explicit permission since the dmd packaged download is not on dsource.
> The original permission for Tango/dmd download was specific to dsource
> only and through the Tango webspace only (if I remember correctly).
>
> Perhaps these guys got extra permission from Walter?  If so, it would be
> nice if they had made this information known in their announcement. :)
>
> -JJR

We were not aware about the problem with dmd redistribution. For now
we've removed the link from the tango page. We are now waiting for a
response from the tango team if they will support that package and host
it on dsource.

By the way. Don't be afraid of the "hack" keyword. :) Both the Tango
backtrace hack as well as the phobos backtrace hack are really little
modifications of  those libraries, which have no influence on their
runtime or performance. The modification is only to print a backtrace
when the program crashes.

Jason House wrote:
 > Peter Modzelewski wrote:
 >
 >> We are proud to introduce to you our new Creation. dmd0xf is a massive
 >> package containing all you need to code in D on Windows working out of
 >> the box.
 >
 > Cool.  Any plans to support more than windows?

Not for now. But maybe in the future :)