Article: New D language pumps up programmer productivity Options

Jascha Wetzel firstname at mainia.de
Fri Jan 18 17:33:48 PST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Article: http://www.linux.com/feature/124320
>>
>> Reddit: http://programming.reddit.com/info/65uh7/comments/
>>
>> Digg:
>> http://digg.com/programming/D_programming_language_pumps_up_programmer_productivity
>>

> Note in the comments how someone (not me I promise!) latches on to the
> specious arguments in the FAQ for why strings need to be included as a
> language feature.  Those dubious arguments should be removed.  A better
> argument is that it allows compile-time string manipulation.

i'm not argumenting against that, but i think it's rather impressive,
that the mere inclusion of std::string and std::vector bloats a single
c++ file to >480kb after preprocessing. considering the simple and
fundamental nature of these things, that is already bad enough for me to
want built-in dynamic arrays and strings.