Win a Free Learn to Tango With D Ebook

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 07:45:20 PST 2008

Mike Parker wrote:

> John Reimer wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm.  So maybe it's a case of a slightly misguided D enthusiast just
>>> trying to be helpful, rather than a malicious attempt to hurt sales of
>>> the Tango crew's book.  If so then presumably Mr. Ivasyuv will take down
>>> the link when he realizes the fuss it's causing.
>>>
>>> --bb
>>

>> That would be the non-confrontional way of looking at it.
>>
>> But then it still doesn't explain why he would respond to Mike's thread
>> by
>> posting this link. It's almost like saying:  "Don't mind Mike's offer;
>> here's the real deal without the bother or the price".  Hmm... yes, maybe
>> that's considered helpful in some places. :P
>
> Someone tried to be just as 'helpful' in a blog comment when I first
> posted about the contest a few days ago. I emailed him after I deleted
> the comment and he was quite friendly in his reply. I suppose some
> people just view the world through different (copyright-filtering)
> glasses.

Yes, that philosophy of taking before it's given does pervade some cultures
(in some places, it used to be called "stealing")... such redefinition
of "liberty" does little good to encourage good workmanship. But the
concept seems to have disappeared in some parts of the world.

I am all for sharing hard work with others, but it's much better when the
that creation is given of freewill... not forcefully taken.  The former
creates a community of trust and appreciation, and the latter (can
engender) resentment and frustration, combined with a loss of economy and
motivation.

The fact that you authors are donating the earnings on this book to the
Tango project has been an example of freewill contribution of sorts.  I
think that should stand as a good testimony of your intentions.  No one
should demand more.  This isn't just about copyright... this also about
respect and appreciation of another's hard work.

-JJR