Polishing D on Reddit

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Fri Jan 25 01:24:43 PST 2008

The easiest solution is to let small parts of it go until time becomes
available to really feel like he can spend time.

Example:

Walter might find someone interested in working on frontend or phobos
bugs.  When looking at bugs or issues, he might triage them and say
"this doesn't look complicated, and it's fixable entirely in phobos."

Such a bug could easily be assigned to another person.  If Walter finds
that he's nearing a release and has heard nothing on the bug, he can
probably take 20 minutes and fix it himself.

But, saving 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there, and just looking over
people's fixes for the simpler bugs, might free up a bit of time and
help him decide if he is comfortable with expanding that sort of situation.

Unlike people, bugs are not all made equal.  It doesn't take a big,
cool, state of the art hammer to squash them all.  Some can be taken
care of just as effectively with a dusty old shoe.

But, being proactive and telling someone, "I want you to fix this for
me" is going to get him places "if you feel like helping please do"
never will.  Volunteers like responsibility, elsewise they wouldn't
volunteer.

Only, as always, my opinion of course.  But with SMF, which was entirely
volunteer, people didn't do anything until they were given something as
a responsibility.  And when they were, they were proud to be and really
put effort into it.  It can be really inspiring.

-[Unknown]