"So You Want To Be A Programmer?"

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 1 15:56:57 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:
> I liked the mention of Physics as well.  However, I'd have added Philosophy.
> As the foundation for logic, language theory, etc, some philosophic training
> is incredibly useful.

Since I've never taken any courses in philosophy, I can't speak for that
from personal experience.

I do know that after 4 years at Caltech, I was far better equipped to
learn new things and solve problems I had no idea, beforehand, how to
even begin.

For example, the senior classes were much tougher than the freshman
ones, yet I needed to expend less effort to master them.

The curriculum was not designed to teach knowledge, but to teach you how
to think.