D programming language conference

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:18:15 PDT 2008

Hello Brad,

> John Reimer wrote:
>
>> Hello Walter,
>>
>>> is coming soon, August 4-6. Brad says we still have room for more
>>> speakers, so if you have a fun D project you're working on, we'd
>>> love to hear about it!
>>>
>>> http://d.puremagic.com/conference2008/
>>>
>> Last year Brad asked that potential attendees contact him so that he
>> could plan logistics.  Is this required this year?  Or do we just
>> show up?
>> -JJR
> I'm still struggling to get enough speakers to justify the conference.
> So far, I don't have enough to fill the first day, let alone 2 or 3.
> So, please, if you want this thing to happen, find a topic you're
> willing to stand in front of 50-100 people talking about for and hour
> and and let me know what it'll be about.  Alternatively, find someone
> you want to hear from and convince them to do it.

Sorry that I didn't respond to this sooner, Brad.  Thank you for taking the
time to respond to my query.

This looks like a tough year for the D conference.  I can't say I'm ready
to present any material for such an event, although I've certainly had many
ideas bouncing around in my head (more specifically concerning dwt). Even
so, I've run into an unfortunate (and unavoidable) conflict of dates that
makes my attendence indefinite anyway :(.  I'm hoping that I can clear that
up soon enough, though.  But I see I may find the conference cancelled anyway.

> If I can't find enough people in the next 2 weeks (give or take based
> on the rate of people volunteering), I'll have little choice but to
> abandon it for this year and look at doing it some other time.

Summer is a hard time for some people.  But I suppose it's the best time
for students.

> Assuming this kick in the.. uh... assuming the conference is going to
> happen, I'll open up registration pretty much just like last year.
>
> On the good news front.  I have the videos from 2007 finally!  I need
> to watch them and get google video's to digest them.  This will take
> some time and I'll try to get it done asap.  My first attempt to send
> one to google looks to be a bust (2 seconds of gray != 90 minutes of
> presentation).  More on this over the course of the week.

I was a little surprised that you got more attention with this portion of
your announcement than about the 2008 conference. :)

All the best,

-JJR