D programming language conference

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 1 23:37:52 PDT 2008

Brad Roberts wrote:
> I'm still struggling to get enough speakers to justify the conference.
> So far, I don't have enough to fill the first day, let alone 2 or 3.
> So, please, if you want this thing to happen, find a topic you're
> willing to stand in front of 50-100 people talking about for and hour
> and and let me know what it'll be about.  Alternatively, find someone
> you want to hear from and convince them to do it.
>
> If I can't find enough people in the next 2 weeks (give or take based on
> the rate of people volunteering), I'll have little choice but to abandon
> it for this year and look at doing it some other time.
>
> Assuming this kick in the.. uh... assuming the conference is going to
> happen, I'll open up registration pretty much just like last year.
>
> On the good news front.  I have the videos from 2007 finally!  I need to
> watch them and get google video's to digest them.  This will take some
> time and I'll try to get it done asap.  My first attempt to send one to
> google looks to be a bust (2 seconds of gray != 90 minutes of
> presentation).  More on this over the course of the week.
>
> Sigh,
> Brad

Ok guys, I hate to do this, but due to lack of sufficient speakers (I
only got two volunteers beyond the local guys, not even enough to fill
one day), I'm going to have to scrub the August conference.  Last year I
had to work pretty hard to round up enough speakers, so I guess I
shouldn't be terribly shocked that not putting in that level of effort
this year didn't work out.

I'm not giving up on holding another conference, but without speakers,
we've just got a bunch of us in a room and I really can't see getting
all of us together for several days of unscheduled time.  I haven't
dropped my reservations on the rooms yet, so if there's some weird
ground swell of reaction to this cancellation, it's reversible.

I'm going to see what dates I can get for first quarter 2009.  If you
guys want to discuss preferred dates, please do so (over in
digitalmars.D, not .announce).  I'll give a whole lot more weight to
willing speakers that express preferred dates.. so if it matters to you,
that's how you'll influence me the most. :)

Sorry,
Brad