"So You Want To Be A Programmer?"

Davidson Corry davidsoncorry at comcast.net
Wed Jul 2 16:41:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 06:57:17 -0700, Manfred_Nowak <svv1999 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Build one to throw away.
>
> That's not a contradiction.
> One is still free to define "coding the real thing" to be
> "programming".

Oh, aye. For that matter, Brooks' own feelings on the matter have outgrown
the bare "throw away" project.

But in any project of significant size, you don't code the final version
on the first try. (*I* never do, I'll tell you that!) There is a lot of
evolution and re-design based on experiment and discovery. Heck, that is
the heart of, for example, scrum. No experiment is a failure if you learn
 from it; naetheless, there is often an element of it that you throw away.

Put it this way: if only the lines of code that actually ship are "the
real thing", then I get paid a lot for not-programming.