DMD 1.032 and 2.016 releases

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Wed Jul 9 10:47:00 PDT 2008

Koroskin Denis wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:03:38 +0400, Tomas Lindquist Olsen
> <tomas at famolsen.dk> wrote:
>
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

>>>  I wrote a short piece on this topic : http://larsivi.net/node/114
>>>  As it is, I will recommend against using this release for Tango users.
>>>

>> After reading larsivi's blog post, I can only say I couldn't agree more!
>> I would personally not mind getting a release candidate and running it
>> through some dstress/tango testing. Obviously this is not done already...
>>
>> I would probably even try merging the changes into LLVMDC and see if
>> anything shows up there.
>>
>> Consider it an offer!
>
> I don't agree, it's useless to have a group of reviewers for DMD releases
> *unless* you are targeting a simultaneous DMD/Tango or DMD/GDC or
> DMD/<something-else> release. Now you know that stuff doesn't compile, and
> what? The breaking changes won't be reverter anyway, the bugs weren't
> fixed just to know that this bugfix breaks existing code, although I
> understand that it's frustrating to see that your code doesn't compile
> anymore. Just continue using DMD1.031, this release doesn't introduce any
> great features anyway.

I agree that there is no particular need to upgrade, although new DMD
releases tend to have bugfixes that are important to Tango users.
Furthermore, D users expect any D 1.0 library to work with the next DMD
1.0xx compiler release, it is a stable branch after all. When this does not
happen, i.e the compiler has a breaking change, there is some furious work
at our end to figure out what the heck is wrong, with potentially quite a
few requests and pings from the users (I speak from experience).

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net