DMD 1.032 and 2.016 releases

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jul 9 14:42:03 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Walter Bright" wrote
>> BCS wrote:
>>> If you could test dmd with tango from a single shell script (runs SVN up;
>>> some tests; etc) would you add that to the pre release tests?
>> The problem with that is if it fails, then I will be debugging Tango (and
>> every other project). It's not practical.
>
> No, Tango devs will be debugging it.

Not if I'm running it as part of the release cycle. Having 100K of
source code that is unknown to me that dies somewhere in it will be a
huge and impractical burden. What would take me many hours would take
the person who wrote the code a few minutes.

The people who know that code need to be the ones to check it out,
because they can efficiently isolate it. Then, I can add the small test
case to my test suite and it will stay fixed. Over time, this aggregate
of small test cases is much more effective at keeping the quality stable
than sheer masses of opaque code.

> Hell, let them do the work with a
> pre-release compiler.  I'll volunteer to do it.  If they determine it is a
> DMD bug, they give you a minimal case, and then you go back and fix it, or
> you determine that it can't be fixed for this release (with appropriate
> bugzilla entry logged).

That is a practical way.

> But without access to the compiler pre-release, there is not much the Tango
> guys can do except say "another stable release that is broken"

I agree.

> And all this is moot if we can build dmd from source :)  It would be nice to
> be able to help...

I know.