DMD 1.032 and 2.016 releases

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Jul 9 14:46:59 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> But it's a breaking change that people asked for two years ago, before
>> D 2.0 was announced.  Besides, breaking changes are made to D 1.0 all
>> the time anyway, as evidenced by the fact that all of the past 4 DMD
>> 1.x releases have broken Tango in one way or another.  I grant that,
>> as a silent breaking change this is somewhat of a bigger deal, but I
>> suspect that our users would gladly change their code to have this in
>> 1.0.
>
> Creating a spec-changing breaking change for D 1.0 is not its charter,
> which is to be a stable release of D that is not getting breaking spec
> changes.

So basically, even if bug reports were opened against D 1.0 before D 1.0
was finalized, if fixing them involves a breaking change then we'll
never see them in D 1.0.  Is this correct?

On a related note, there were some other issues fixed in D 2.0 but not
1.0 that I don't believe were spec-related and which were also reported
against 1.0 before 2.0 was announced.  I can't recall what they were
offhand... IFTI issues perhaps?  What was the reasoning behind this
decision?

Sean