DMD 1.032 and 2.016 releases

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Jul 9 15:38:23 PDT 2008

Reply to Walter,

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> The problem with that is if it fails, then I will be debugging Tango
>>> (and every other project). It's not practical.
>>>
>> No, Tango devs will be debugging it.
>>
> Not if I'm running it as part of the release cycle. Having 100K of
> source code that is unknown to me that dies somewhere in it will be a
> huge and impractical burden. What would take me many hours would take
> the person who wrote the code a few minutes.

One option, take 3 minutes (and use an egg timer) to look at it. If nothing
jumps out, e-mail the whole log off to the tango team and forget about it
until they get back to you.
Another is to just e-mail it off at the start.

> The people who know that code need to be the ones to check it out,
> because they can efficiently isolate it. Then, I can add the small
> test case to my test suite and it will stay fixed. Over time, this
> aggregate of small test cases is much more effective at keeping the
> quality stable than sheer masses of opaque code.

The point isn't to (directly) add to your test cases, it it to known of you
are going to break Tango and give someone an opportunity to do something
about it before things get released

>> Hell, let them do the work with a pre-release compiler.  I'll
>> volunteer to do it.  If they determine it is a DMD bug, they give you
>> a minimal case, and then you go back and fix it, or you determine
>> that it can't be fixed for this release (with appropriate bugzilla
>> entry logged).
>>
> That is a practical way.

I guess if e-mail the pre-release version with it you get that as well.