"So You Want To Be A Programmer?"

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jul 10 21:24:26 PDT 2008

"Georg Wrede" <georg at nospam.org> wrote in message
news:486BA245.2030308 at nospam.org...
> JMNorris wrote:
>> BCS <ao at pathlink.com> wrote in news:55391cb32ebb78caa9ac8a83e146
>> @news.digitalmars.com:
>>
>>>One of the best classes I have taken was symbolic logic (Phil 202 IIRC).
>>>I'll never know why that is a Philosophy class and not a math class.
>>
>> The reason is mostly historical.  Logic has been part of philosophy since
>> the ancient Greeks, but wasn't sufficienlty well developed to be treated
>> with mathematical rigor until Frege (second half of the 19th century).
>> IIRC, it isn't until Hibert that you get logic addressed as a fully
>> mathematical subject.  Nowadays, both math and philosophy departments
>> teach logic, though with a somewhat different emphasis.  Math departments
>> generally teach it primarily at a grad student level.  Philosophy
>> departments teach it at both grad and undergrad levels.
>
> I took a class in symbolic logic at the university. Boolean expressions
> have never been the same after that. I sure wish I'd learnt the stuff much
> earlier.

I found that my programming experience made classes in symbolic logic (and
discrete math) to be agonisingly slow-pased. I ended up serverely irritating
the rest of the class because I was being so pedantic about all of the
instructor's examples, just so I could stay awake. Although I suppose I made
up for that in other areas - I never could pass German 101 (well,
technically I did, but I think the prof was bending the rules in my case).
It was too close to my native language of English to make any sense ;)