OpenMW, an open morrowind reimplementation

Koroskin Denis 2korden at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 03:18:10 PDT 2008

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 02:08:09 +0400, Chris R. Miller
<lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nicolay Korslund Wrote:
>
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I'd like to announce a project I've been working on for some time - an
>> open
>> source reimplementation of Morrowind. I've called it OpenMW, see
>> http://openmw.snaptoad.com
>>
>> OpenMW is written almost completely in D, with some minor parts in C++
>> to interface with libraries. I'm using Ogre for graphics, and there's
>> already
>> a discussion going (with screenshots) at
>> http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=288886
>>
>> My hope is that this project will make D more visible in the game dev
>> community, and prove that D has merit in that field.
>>
>> One specific thing is that it connects D code with Ogre and other C++
>> libraries. Even though this is done in a way that is very specific to
>> openmw, it show that it can be done without much problem. (In fact it
>> isn't hard at all, the interface is not a complete low-level wrapper but
>> a small set of "medium-level" functions using extern(C). It will be even
>> easier with D2.0-style C++ linkage.)
>>
>> For more info and shots, check http://openmw.snaptoad.com . Note
>> that it's still in a very early stage of development though.
>
> Very very cool, though I do wonder about the legality of what you have
> just done.  I seem to remember a large number of commercial EULAs being
> more or less Xerox copies of each other, and all of them very expressly
> disallow reverse engineering of any kind.
>
> I don't mean to be hostile, I'm just trying to know whether I can expect
> to see you in the news.  I can see it now...  "Electronic Entertainment
> Mega-corp Ubisoft sues Open-Source Programmer Nicolay Korslund for the
> reverse-engineering of their ancient and discontinued title "Elder
> Scrolls III: Morrowind," claiming that the act of writing a redundant
> game data file reader constitutes reverse engineering and is a violation
> of Intellectual Property.  Representatives from Ubigroup were unable to
> comment at this time, though damages in the order of $500,000 were
> discussed if programmer Korslund refuses to completely destroy his work
> and renounce computer science for ever.  Details at eleven."  Perhaps
> not that dramatic, but you understand where I'm coming from.  Then
> again, I live in America.  Lawyers are a dime a dozen, so we get to put
> up with a lot of legal nonsense.  I think it's made me more than a
> little paranoid.

Well, it's not like that. There are tens of engine reimplementations out
there[1]. Nothing is wrong if your game doesn't supply any copyrighted
data, but those users who own the original game should be able to attach
game data files to the engine and play game. Otherwise, it would be piracy.

Complete remake is another story. I know of a few projects, that got Cease
and Desist letter from copyright holders, and that forced the project to
close. Good example is Chrono Trigger Resurrection[2], but AFAIK those
guys were going to sell the game after release.

Anyway, try to avoid usage of trademarked names (like "Morrowind" or
"Elder Scroll"), in a title at the very least.

----
[1] Links:
http://rewiki.regengedanken.de/wiki/Links_to_engine_reimplementations
http://scummvm.org/compatibility.php