OpenMW, an open morrowind reimplementation

Clay Smith clayasaurus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:58:24 PDT 2008

Saaa wrote:
>>> ArcLib looks interesting, what is the advantage of using it for sound
>>> only in
>>> comparison with using derelict and raw OpenAL?
>> I just mentioned it as a good start if u want to dig in using OpenAL. You
>> could of course also simply use the Sound package of ArcLib if it is
>> sufficient for your needs.
>
> I meant it more like:
> Does ArcLib offer stuff OpenAl doesn't?

ArcLib / Yage (where the base code of ArcLib openAL module came from)
will allow you to get quickly set up using OpenAL. It's the difference
between writing

openal.sound.open();

SoundFX snd = new SoundFX("file.ogg / wav");
snd.play();

openal.sound.process();

versus writing 500 lines of code yourself to accomplish the same thing.

You don't have to use ArcLib, just grab the zlib/png licensed openal
module, modify it, and use it in your own project. ;)