DMD 1.031 and 2.015 releases

Russell Lewis webmaster at villagersonline.com
Wed Jun 18 15:20:55 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:g3bkl5$1jbp$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> It's hard to implement, and in some cases (circular references)
>> impossible.
>
> In the case of circular references, yes, it is impossible, in which case
> there's nothing you can do but issue an error.
>
> But you didn't sign up to be a compiler writer because it was easy, did you?
> And if something like this _is_ too much work for one man -- why not put the
> DMDFE source on dsource and start accepting help on things like this?

While I'm a fan of the idea that someday we could contribute to D more
directly, remember that one of the (original) ideas of D was that it was
supposed to be easy to write a standards-compliant compiler.  I still
think that that's a good goal.

Here's another chance to advocate for my "D simplifier."  Let's have an
open-source tool which does all of the hard stuff (like forward
referencing and filling in "auto").  Its output would be a simplified
dialect of D, which would be easy to compile. :)

Russ