DMD 1.031 and 2.015 releases

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Jun 19 12:21:18 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:g3bqmi$2117$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>>And if something like this _is_ too much work for one man -- why not put
>>>the DMDFE source on dsource and start accepting help on things like this?
>>
>>Reorganizing the internals of the compiler is not just accepting a patch.
>>
>>I've incorporated many user patches to dmd. The source doesn't need to be
>>on dsource for that.
>
> I'm not suggesting patches.  I'm suggesting that you not be the *only*
> person working on DMDFE.  I'm also suggesting that if the internals need to
> be reorganized to implement forward reference resolution -- so be it.  Maybe
> the compiler needs to be rewritten.  It's been in development an awfully
> long time and D has changed considerably since development started.  The
> semantic analysis that used to cut it when it wasn't much more complex than
> Java might not be working for us anymore.

We've had this discussion in the past, and Walter has said it's OK for
anybody to make changes to the FE, that's why it's open source.

That means that you /already/ can put it on dsource and have people send
you patches. You can then automatically (say once a day or week) have
the thing compiled, regression test suite run, and have the binary put
on download.

Once a particular patch has been used by enough people, it becomes
easier to suggest Walter incorporate it in Phobos.