DMD 1.031 and 2.015 releases

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Jun 19 17:49:11 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Georg,
>
>> We've had this discussion in the past, and Walter has said it's OK for
>> anybody to make changes to the FE, that's why it's open source.
>>
>> That means that you /already/ can put it on dsource and have people
>> send you patches. You can then automatically (say once a day or week)
>> have the thing compiled, regression test suite run, and have the
>> binary put on download.
>>
>> Once a particular patch has been used by enough people, it becomes
>> easier to suggest Walter incorporate it in Phobos.
>
> one problem, to really make that work you need the backend Walter uses.

Do the Tango guys have such a backend??

Hmmm. It sounds like it would be in Walter's (and therefore all of us)
interest to device a way for us to use the Alt-FE as a drop-in. That way
Walter could avoid bureaucracy involved in screening, selecting and
trying out all the submissions. He'd now simply be sent the patches that
in actual reality have proved themselves worthy, by not crashing and by
giving the community a positive experience.

Probably there'd be a few tens of users who regularly use the
bleeding-edge-Phobos, and their experiences would then decide what gets
suggested for the "real" Phobos. (This is not to say Walter is obliged
to accept all of them, merely that he'd avoid most of the bureaucracy,
most of the time.)