DMD 1.031 and 2.015 releases

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Jun 19 18:03:46 PDT 2008

Charles Hixson wrote:
> A D compiler option to emit C code?  (Or C++ code?)  It wouldn't need to
> be as efficient as D-to-executable in order to be portable.

There's no reason this code would be any less efficient than the ASM the
D compiler has to generate anyway. After all, the "C language" is
actually not a language, it is more like a CPU independent symbolic
assembly language. (At least in the K&R days it was.)

While technologically an interesting option, I'd think that in a
political way this would be unwise. Not to mention the credibility of D.

> (Yes, it would probably be a huge undertaking.  But it's an option for
> portability that would allow D to be written in D.  I believe this kind
> of bootstrapping was first used by Algol.)

/Technologically/, that is, in programming practice, it would be a huge
success. Such a compiler could then immediately be used in an immense
variety of domains. And additionally, many companies would then
hand-tweak the C code in subtle but important ways, to really achieve
astounding performance and suitability for possibly quite exotic needs.

It could also give D access to both smaller and larger CPUs than today.