D programming language conference

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:13:10 PDT 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:51:48 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Brad Roberts" <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.5.1214207467.32098.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...
>> John Reimer wrote:
>>> Hello Walter,

>>> Last year Brad asked that potential attendees contact him so that he
>>> could plan logistics.  Is this required this year?  Or do we just show
>>> up?
>>> -JJR
>>>

>> I'm still struggling to get enough speakers to justify the conference.
>> So far, I don't have enough to fill the first day, let alone 2 or 3.
>> So, please, if you want this thing to happen, find a topic you're
>> willing to stand in front of 50-100 people talking about for and hour
>> and and let me know what it'll be about.  Alternatively, find someone
>> you want to hear from and convince them to do it.
>>
>> If I can't find enough people in the next 2 weeks (give or take based
>> on the rate of people volunteering), I'll have little choice but to
>> abandon it for this year and look at doing it some other time.
>>
>> Assuming this kick in the.. uh... assuming the conference is going to
>> happen, I'll open up registration pretty much just like last year.
>>
>> On the good news front.  I have the videos from 2007 finally!  I need
>> to watch them and get google video's to digest them.  This will take
>> some time and I'll try to get it done asap.  My first attempt to send
>> one to google looks to be a bust (2 seconds of gray != 90 minutes of
>> presentation).  More on this over the course of the week.
>>
>> Sigh,
>> Brad
>
> Why not just stick them up somewhere, maybe as a torrent? I've always
> hated "video embedded in flash".

I don't have a problem with torrent clients, but I can tell you why I
prefer video embedded flash, but maybe not so much for these videos.

I don't want to download and save the video to watch it, I just want to
see it now and be done with it. I know the browser has to do it, but I'm
not trouble with deleting the video afterwards. It's not about the space,
resources, or speed, just my laziness.

As for these videos, I'd like a file to float around places. I'll
probably be putting them on my Sansa (mp3 player).