Reddit: SafeD - The Safe Subset of D

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 03:41:08 PDT 2008

I wish D uses the concept of UNSAFE modules similar (or the same) as in
the excellent Modula-3 language (which influenced all modern OO
languages, IMHO).
Modula-3 has a keyword "UNSAFE" which is used in a module or interface
declaration to indicate that it is _unsafe_. In other words it informs
us that the module/interface uses unsafe features of the language. If
module or interface is not labeled "unsafe" (default behavior), it is
assumed to be safe.
This simple concept is amazing, as is the fact that Modula-3 (as a
language) had this (plus numerous other modern features) two decades ago.

Kind regards

PS. I am not advocating Modula-3 here. I do C++ (16 years), D, Java and
PHP programming, mostly.