DMD Snapshot 0.5.0

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Sat May 3 10:57:15 PDT 2008

pragma Wrote:

> Chris R. Miller wrote:
> > In my true always-late fashion, I finally finished my latest library and compiler package.  This one was slightly harder due to some changes in DWT.  Suffice it to say that it all works now.  I've tested it all out and it's good to go.
> >
> > http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/frs/?action=FrsReleaseView&release_id=107
> >
> > So if you're stuck trying to get the latest version of DWT to work or something similar to that effect, this could be useful, since I've already done that bit of work for you.  So if you want to, feel free to let me know what you think!
> >

> Awesome.  The community has needed a comprehensive toolkit package for
> some time.  Thanks for doing this! ;)

IMHO is absolutely essential.  Newbies coming into D aren't going to be interested in learning how to build the development toolchain, and I would think that a zero-to-compile package is absolutely necessary to getting people who're interested in D to the point where they can actually start working with D.

Right now the D Programming Community is rather small, only about 50 people at most if I'm estimating correctly.  Making it bigger is high on the priority list.  Well, at least on the priority list of a groupie like me.

> There's just one wart: You're too short on details! I had to download

Indeed, when talking about a language as fascinating and exciting as D, it is extremely difficult to not be too short on details!

> the package and browse the contents before I realized what you did here.
>
> http://www.fsdev.net/gf/project/dmd-snaps/
>
> This toolkit is an all-in-one download for Windows, that includes the
> following:
>
> DMD (complete with DM linker and 'make')
> DDBG
> Tango
> DSSS (complete with 'rebuild')
> DWT
> DDBI
> Derelict
> ...and a host of misc. modules by Derek and Gregor.
>
> IMO, the only thing that is missing is Tangobos. ;)

Hm, I remember reading that Tangobos can induce some problems.  This was way back during Tango 0.99.4 era IIRC, and stuff could have changed by now.  If someone can vouch for the stability of Tangobos today, I'd be more than happy to add it to the next release.