Monster 0.8 + Tutorial

Nicolay Korslund korslund at gmail.com
Fri May 9 02:07:50 PDT 2008

I have written the very first tutorial for Monster, the D-based game scripting language:

http://monster.snaptoad.com/tutorials/tutorial1_basics.html

It only covers the very basics (how to run scripts, what functions and variables look like, etc.) The syntax is pretty similar to D, so this tutorial shouldn't be too hard to follow for D developers. I'm writing partially with future users in mind though, including game modders and such, so I'm trying to keep it simple.

I also released version 0.8 a little while ago, you can find it here:

http://monster.snaptoad.com/download.html

Monster is a very young language, and even some essential features like garbage collection are still under development. However, it it is mature enough to play around with, and I'm working actively on the missing features.

I've had some great suggestions already as to where to take the project next, but if you are interested in game development and have some ideas for the language, I'm always open for more suggestions.

- Nico