DMD 1.030 and 2.014 releases

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat May 17 00:41:58 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> These contain a new way of building that I've wanted to do for a long
> time. dmd can now build libraries directly, without writing out
> object files or invoking the librarian. This accelerates library
> builds by a whopping factor of 3! Besides, it doesn't litter your
> directories with pointless object files.

How does incremental compilation work then, if there are no files ?
I'm assuming the factor applies when doing full rebuilds each time.

> [...] Librarians are so simple, though, that this is a big win.
>
> Yes, both 1.0 and 2.0 dmd's get this (it doesn't affect the language).

Neat, wonder if GDC should get this addition or if it will just add
complexity with portability, and the various odd platform linkers...

It's of course doable to emulate the -lib option in the gdmd script
wrapper otherwise, and use a temporary directory for object storage.

> Another cool new feature is the dmd -man switch. Try it out! Lots of new
> library stuff, bugfixes, and Andrei has completely redone rdmd.

Will this new rdmd be released under an open source license as well ?
(the old version, which is also in gdc now, was in the public domain)

--anders