DMD 1.030 and 2.014 releases

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 17 00:58:46 PDT 2008

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> These contain a new way of building that I've wanted to do for a long
>> time. dmd can now build libraries directly, without writing out
>> object files or invoking the librarian. This accelerates library
>> builds by a whopping factor of 3! Besides, it doesn't litter your
>> directories with pointless object files.
>
> How does incremental compilation work then, if there are no files ?
> I'm assuming the factor applies when doing full rebuilds each time.

It does a full build each time, and the times apply to a full build.
Perhaps in the future a -make switch could be added to do an incremental
build.

>> [...] Librarians are so simple, though, that this is a big win.
>> Yes, both 1.0 and 2.0 dmd's get this (it doesn't affect the language).
>
> Neat, wonder if GDC should get this addition or if it will just add
> complexity with portability, and the various odd platform linkers...

It has no affect on the linker or linking phase. Also, since this isn't
a language issue, whether gdc gets it or not is a tool decision.

> It's of course doable to emulate the -lib option in the gdmd script
> wrapper otherwise, and use a temporary directory for object storage.

Yes.

>> Another cool new feature is the dmd -man switch. Try it out! Lots of
>> new library stuff, bugfixes, and Andrei has completely redone rdmd.
>
> Will this new rdmd be released under an open source license as well ?
> (the old version, which is also in gdc now, was in the public domain)

It should be, but I'll ask Andrei.