DMD 1.030 and 2.014 releases

Chris Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Fri May 23 05:58:16 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Chris Wright wrote:
>> Robert Fraser wrote:
>>>
>>> Indeed that's a fear I have as well. D 1.0 has never been fully
>>> stable (look at the ".init" change that happened after 2.0 was out...
>>> that broke a lot of code). So it seems rather arbitrary that a bug
>>> fix like this (reported as bug, not an enhancement, before 2.0 was on
>>> the horizon) would only make it to the 2.0 branch.
>>
>> A lot of people have been annoyed by a lot of these changes.
>> Unfortunately, nobody (and that includes the lack of me) has gotten
>> off their butts to release a DMD 1.1.x branch.
>
> When you say "nobody" are you suggesting that the D community should
> create a 1.1 branch and release it whether Walter wants it or not?

I am. There seems to be demand for it. And if there were such a branch,
Walter could even stop maintaining the 1.x branch because bugfixes from
the 2.x branch would get ported to the 1.1 branch.

This isn't ideal for the community, perhaps. If enough people were
involved, however, Walter would just be working on an experimental
branch, and the community would handle bugfixes.