Snapshot 0.6.0

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Tue May 27 00:20:48 PDT 2008

Jason House wrote:
> Chris R. Miller wrote:
>> Amazingly enough I was able to get all
>> this to work correctly the first time - a sign that I've been here far
>> too long and need to find something more impossible to do.  So, requests
>> if you have any would be great.
>
> Snapshot for linux

That's a pretty tall order, but it's certainly on my radar.  I too use
Linux - only reason I started with Windows is because it's the hardest
to make work.

The tricky part with Linux is trying to do it in a way which is
distro-independent.  I don't even have the disk space to keep a Virtual
Box install of all the major distros (which are - according to me -
Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS/Red Hat, though not in that
specific order).  I think I found an interesting tool in "Install
Jammer" (www.installjammer.com) but I'm still looking for a better
installer.  I want to try and do it as independent of the local distro
as possible in order to maintain portability.  I have no clue how I'll
do that, but I haven't even begun cursory research yet.

I think I'll try for DMD-Linux, since GDC could rope in some GCC
dependencies that could entangle things far more than I'd like to get
into.  Last time I tried building GCC from scratch it was most painful.
  I don't know how the GCC developers do what they do, but what they do
is amazing!