Tango conference 2008 - Tomasz Stachowiak DDL talk

Saaa empty at needmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:32:09 PST 2008

That is some amazing game dev framework!
How is everything licensed?

I totally agree with what is said about programming with D:
You just implement it, even if you understand only a subset of the language
(like me :)
And after a while the code becomes cleaner/better by itself.
For instance, I started out with loads of global variables and like almost
no knowledge
about oop and now I better understand modules and oop, things get nicely
packaged and
the global variable list is slinking.

Everything I made can not do much beyond what it should be doing (opposite
the teamh0xf framework)
but that is what you get from being a one man show and try to focus half of
my attention to
AI research :D

Why Cg? I used Cg for a bit but went back to GLSL because of its simplicity.

One last simple thing: In the Molly Rocket talk about immediate-mode guis a
comment is made
about some games not holding true to the convention that releasing the mouse
away from the
clicked button will not result in button click.
I think that in-game guis should not hold to this convention because of
three things:
1. it is faster and holding to the convention could become quit annoying
2. highlighting the hot buttons is more elaborate in games (well most of the
times of course)
3. faulty clicks are not that damaging