Tango conference 2008 - Tomasz Stachowiak DDL talk

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:21:47 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Saaa <empty at needmail.com> wrote:
>>> One last simple thing: In the Molly Rocket talk about immediate-mode guis
>>> comment is made
>>> about some games not holding true to the convention that releasing the
>>> mouse
>>> away from the
>>> clicked button will not result in button click.
>>> 3. faulty clicks are not that damaging
>>
>> Oops, I just used my one-time super awesome buff trinket that I was
>> saving for Kil'jaeden _when I was fighting a trash mob_.
>>
>> It might not be damaging to your computer or data, but it can sure be
>> frustrating in the game ;)
>
> Well, I mentioned it as an indirect poll :)
> So, you'd rather have the conventional buttons ingame?
> And, which were the games in which the unconventional way was actually
> frustrating you?

I strongly disagree with the notion that good usability principles in
a "game UI" somehow differ from usability principles that apply to
"regular UI".   UI principles are universal.  It doesn't suddenly
become ok to throw UI principles out the window because the interface
happens to be used for shooting little digital green space aliens.
It's still an interface, and a human still has to use it.   And,
really, gamers are some of the most sensitive people in the world when
it comes to UI.  Ever heard gamers griping about how the graphics of
some game are nice but they threw it in the dustbin after a day
because the controls are too sloppy?

--bb