Brief report about the Tango Conference 2008 in Torun

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Wed Oct 1 06:25:06 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:
> Alexander Panek:
>> He seems to like D and its flexibility.
>
> I hope to read a report or an article about the usage of D in teaching, with comparisons against Java too :-)
> Even if it says bad things regarding D, it can be very useful still.
>
> Another useful thing may be a list of the bugs put by students in their D programs. This list can be used to remove some spots that are currently bug-prone of D.

He didn't really get much into that, what he did talk a lot about was some of the parts of the
D spec that students had a hard time explaining/understanding.

>> Well, there’s a project on dsource (druntime:
>> http://dsource.org/projects/druntime)
>
> The project says:
>> A freestanding version of the Tango runtime usable by Phobos and Tango<
>
> Now we just need 'A freestanding version of the Phobos runtime usable by Tango and Phobos' and we are even ;o)

Thing is, Tango's runtime is much more self contained, IIRC it's been proven superior several
times as well (as in faster).
The main thing I got out of this was that a common interface for the D runtime was a big point.
So nothing wrong with changing the Phobos runtime to implement this interface, it'd be a lot
more work though for little to no gain...

As mentioned there was a compiler/runtime workshop sunday morning. I found this one quite
interesting. A lot of good points about flaws in the D spec (regarding future new compilers and
portability), general mistakes in the language design etc. were "presented".

I think the idea was to compile a list of the general conclusions, not sure who actually did
that (if any). Though the notes should still exist. I'm sure these would spawn a very long NG
thread when posted ;)

-Tomas