Lazy a mistake?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Oct 3 03:59:10 PDT 2008

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> If you want to discuss language design mistakes, why don't you discuss a
> real mistake - the infamous "lazy"? Having a storage class change the
> way a type is used - now that's the perfect example of the tail wagging
> the dog. Ambiguity, confusion, non-scalability, and sheer nonsense - you
> can have it all with lazy. Lazy should be either fixed or honorably
> discharged pronto.
>

> Andrei

What's the problem with lazy? I mean, concretely?
Are you trying to see lazy as a type modifier, and thus see it as broken
type modifier? Perhaps that's the issue, don't see it as a type
modifier! I see lazy as a construct in the same category as '...': a
syntax that changes the way a function call processes its arguments.
Just because 'lazy' is a word and not a series of symbols doesn't mean
it should be interpreted as a type constructor.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate