Revised RFC on range design for D2

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 05:59:54 PDT 2008

Sergey Gromov wrote:
> Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:03:42 -0500,
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Yah, overloaded ops are due for an overhaul. I'm almost afraid to ask...
>> any ideas? :o)
>>
>> One goal is to fix opIndexAssign and make it work similar to the way it
>> works in arrays, e.g. a[b] += c. Indexing into hash tables is a good
>> test bed.
>
> What's wrong with a.opIndexAssign(b, a.opIndex(b) + c)?

Probably performance.

Consider seeking to the end of a 100M-node single-linked list, and
increase its content by 1.

But I agree that if something like .opIndexAddAssign() is not defined,
the compiler should fall back to use a.opIndexAssign(b, a.opIndex(b)+c).

(The same idea can be extended to properties and .opSlice() )