Brief report about the Tango Conference 2008 in Torun

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Oct 3 12:01:31 PDT 2008

Alexander Pánek wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Alexander Panek wrote:

>>> Well, there’s a project on dsource (druntime:
>>> http://dsource.org/projects/druntime) which is supposed to hold that
>>> common runtime.
>>
>> I just thought I'd mention that if anyone wants to play with
>> this, the runtime is fully functional and there are versions
>> available for both D 1.0 and D 2.0 (in a branch and trunk,
>> respectively).  Assuming everything works out however, I
>> expect that only Phobos for D 2.0 will actually use the
>> common runtime, since D 1.0 is in maintenance mode now.
>
> Ah, good to know. What are the differences between druntime and Tango’s
> runtime? What about the features Tango has but Phobos doesn’t?

The location of things have changed and certain bits have been tightened
up a bit compared to Tango, but the functionality should be identical to
Tango's runtime.  With that in mind, if you want to try it out, build
druntime and replace tango-base-dmd.lib with druntime-dmd.lib, get rid
of the .di files in tango/core that are generated by the lib build
process, and use the top-level memory, thread, etc, modules in their place.

The project is really just a proof of concept at this point.  I've got a
version of Phobos for D 2.0 working on top of druntime with no problems,
for example, but there is no official support yet for druntime from
Phobos or Tango.

In short, druntime works just fine, but to actually use it right now
you're pretty much on your own.  I'll be happy to answer any questions
regarding setup, but don't have any plans yet for installation scripts,
packaging, etc.

By the way, DMD is the only supported compiler at the moment.  I'll add
support for the others later if the project actually takes off.

Sean