Tango Conference 2008 - MiniD talk by by Jarrett Billingsley.

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Oct 6 07:04:30 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley:
> They're simpler to implement as there is now only one type and one set
> of lookup rules, and, well, it's cool.  Besides, MiniD is a dynamic
> language, and if I were to make classes as dynamic as they could be,
> you'd more or less end up with a prototype-based object system with an
> arbitrary bifurcation between classes and their instances.  Which is
> precisely what happened in the development of MD2, in fact.

I agree they are probably simpler to implement. Regarding that bifurcation, Python has solved it introducing metaclasses, so classes are objects too, that is instances of a metaclass. This seems just to move the problem up one level, but in most cases it solves the problem. But it also introduces some complexity, and programming with metaclasses requires some skills.

Bye,
bearophile