Delight

Thomas Leonard talex5+d at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:06:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:33:54 +0200, Johan Granberg wrote:

> bearophile wrote:
>
>> Mosfet:
>>> Is there any performance loss from compared to D language ?
>>
>> No, it's just D1 resyntaxed. That is, it generally improves on the
>> old-school syntax of D ;-)
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> How complet is the page? From wath I read there was several good
> features missing from D1 and if it's just a resyntax thats a shame :)

It's now based on D2. The main problem was that Tango's D2 branch doesn't
work with GDC, so I had to switch to Phobos instead.

Pretty much all D syntax has a direct equivalent in Delight. The main
missing things are:

- labels (and therefore goto). They might come back later (with a new
  syntax, since colon is used for indented blocks).

- anonymous functions are limited to expressions (as in Python).

In addition, these things are only available to modules in the dlt.*
namespace:

- module level variables
- static variables
- extern

This is to encourage external libraries to be wrapped, since they
generally don't fit in with the style the language is experimenting with.