[OT] Re: Tango heap is dangerous

Chris R. Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:24:13 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Jarrett Billingsley
> <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Chris R. Miller
>> <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What about mailing lists, such as Google Groups?  They allow you to treat it
>>> as a forum or as a mailing list.
>>>
>> GG will not index news.digitalmars.com.  I guess there aren't enough D
>> users at Google to make them care.
>>

> And it still doesn't solve the identity issue.

As an admin at the Linux Users Group on Google Groups I've banned tons
of spammers.  Google Groups has excellent access control features.

I was more suggesting (since some were implicitly suggesting a migration
to a forum) that we consider a Google Group as well.  I prefer mailing
lists since I love having all my discussion media in my inbox.  Running
'round the web and checking a dozen forums doesn't rub me the right way.
  With the NG I can use Thunderbird to access it, which is great.  But
Apple Mail doesn't have an NG interface, which sucks, but I'll get over it.

With a Google Group you can subscribe either as a web forum (no email)
or as a mailing list (email messages), so it has the best of both forums
and the NG IMHO.  The NG's great feature being that you can use
Thunderbird or another NG client to access the NG like you would you email.

I'm just tossing the idea around, I'm not directly advocating a change -
I don't care enough to attach my name to a ballot or anything.