DMD 1.036 and 2.020 releases

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 19:19:22 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:59 AM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> == Quote from Bill Baxter (wbaxter at gmail.com)'s article
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > == Quote from Bill Baxter (wbaxter at gmail.com)'s article

>> > Works.  Thanks.  Now I just get weird, inscrutable linker errors.  This one might
>> > be a little too bleeding edge even for me.
>> >
>> Even with Hello World?  That one linked and ran fine for me after
>> adding the druntime include.
>> --bb
>
> Ok, looks like DMD isn't finding Object properly, using stock config except for
> Bill Baxter's change to sc.ini.
>
> class Foo {}
>
> void main() {
>    auto foo = new Foo;
> }
>
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined _D6object6Object5printMFZv
>
> Seriously, though, Walter, thank you very much for this release.  You have done a
> tremendous job bringing us a better language.  Merging the Phobos and Tango
> runtime is a monumental task (Sean, thank you, too) and a few bumps along the road
> are definitely understandable.

Hmm, first off it looks like druntime.lib doesn't exist in the D2 download.
I was able to build it by running build-dmd.bat in one of the druntime
subdirectories.

But there's more to it than that.

There's an object.d in src/phobos with a prototype for a print() function.
But the object.di in src/druntime/import does not have a print() function.

So maybe the phobos.lib included was built using the old object.d
instead of the new one from druntime?

--bb